Street Side Sizzling Fried Momos Worth To Try At Home
Fried Momos are crunchy & delicious deep-fried dim sums made of plain flour stuffed with crisply & mildly spiced vegetables. It is believed that the name ‘momos’ is derived from the Tibetan word for dumplings. While momos are considered domestic to Tibet as well as areas of Bhutan, Assam, Ladakh, Sikkim, Nepal, and Arunachal Pradesh they are now extremely popular across a wider region.
Different regions of the world have different momo-filling recipes. Vegetarian versions usually include finely chopped cabbage, carrots, onions, and sometimes beans and soya sauce. Veg fried momos are fried in oil to give them a more crispy texture and crunchy exterior.
Recipe of Veg Fried Momos
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Maida
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Oil for frying
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Cup Grated Cabbage
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Grated Carrots
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Onions
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- In a large mixing bowl, stir in the flour.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 teaspoon of oil to the maida, then whisk to coat it thoroughly.
- Add small amounts of water and knead the dough until it becomes supple.
- When you make the dough, it will be soft and smooth. Put a damp cloth on top of it and let it rest for 20 minutes.
Preparing the dough
In a pan, put oil and place on medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and green chilies, cooking until fragrant. Add the onions, cooking until they soften slightly. Add the grated carrots to the pan and cook for a few minutes on high heat. Finely grate the cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Let the mixture sit out before you use it.
Shape The Momos
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Shape each dough piece into a cylindrical log and cut the logs into 8-10 pieces.
- Roll the dough into a small ball. Brush some butter on a baking sheet.
- You should flatten the ball using a rolling pin to make it into a flat, circular disc. The edges should be thinner and the middle thicker.
- Put a spoonful of filling on top of the disc.
- Fold the edges of the disc inward towards the center in overlapping folds. Do this for half of the side of the disc.
- Press the second half of the dough to form crescent-shaped dumplings.
- Prepare the momos like this. Afterward, you can steam them for 3-5 minutes if you want or fry them directly.
Process of Frying momos
- Heat oil at medium heat. Gently place momos in the hot oil. Do not put too many momos in at once.
- Turn the momos gently and fry them on medium heat until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Fry the momos in batches. Place them on a plate when they’re done.
- Your Veg fried momos are ready. Serve them hot with delicious momo chutney.
This fried momos recipe is so easy to follow and the end result is truly delicious. If you’re looking for a fun and tasty snack to make, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed!