These Snickerdoodle Cookies Are Everything
A snickerdoodle is a type of cookie that is traditionally made with flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, and cinnamon. It is generally believed that the snickerdoodle was first created in the United States, and the earliest known recipe for the cookie dates back to 1892. The cookie is typically rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking, which gives it a crisp exterior and a soft, chewy interior.
The origin of the Cookies is somewhat of a mystery, but there are a few theories about how the cookie came to be. One theory suggests that the snickerdoodle was created by German immigrants who settled in the United States in the 18th century. These immigrants brought with them a recipe for a type of cookie called a “schnecken,” which was made with cinnamon, sugar, and butter. It is believed that the schnecken was adapted to create the snickerdoodle, as the ingredients are similar and the names of the two cookies are similar in sound.
Another theory about the origin of the snickerdoodle suggests that the cookie was created by American colonists. This theory is based on the fact that the earliest known recipe for the cookie dates back to 1892, which is around the time when the United States was founded. It is possible that the snickerdoodle was created as a way to use up leftover ingredients, such as flour, sugar, and butter.
Whatever the origin of the Cookies, there is no doubt that it is a beloved American cookie. The cookie has been enjoyed by generations of Americans, and it shows no signs of slowing down in popularity. If you have never had a snickerdoodle, I highly recommend you try one. You won’t be disappointed!
1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon (15 grams) milk
1/4 cup (50 grams) cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F (180 degrees
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add the sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined. Stir in the milk.
- Place the cinnamon sugar in a small bowl. Scoop out dough by the tablespoonful and roll into balls. Roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown and set. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Precautions to take
- Do not overmix the dough. Mixing the dough too much will result in tough cookies.
- Be sure to use fresh, quality ingredients. This will ensure the best flavor and texture.
- Do not bake the cookies for too long. They should be golden brown and set, but still soft in the center.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing in an airtight container
- Snickerdoodles are a good source of energy.
- They are low in fat and cholesterol.
- Snickerdoodles contain no artificial colors or flavors.
- They are a good source of fiber.
How to garnish
There are many ways to garnish a snickerdoodle. Some common garnishes include:
- Cinnamon sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Crushed nuts
- Dried fruit
The possibilities are endless! Get creative and have fun with it.
The bottom line
Snickerdoodles are a delicious, classic American cookie that has been enjoyed by generations. They are perfect for any occasion, and are sure to please everyone. So, what are you waiting for? Get baking!
Snickerdoodle is eaten in
Snickerdoodles can be enjoyed at any time of day. They make a great breakfast cookie, snack, or dessert.
FOR MORE RECIPIE:
Chicken Parmesan: A Recipe That’s Worth The Effort
Grandma’s instant delicious One-Pan Goulash Recipe
Delicious Chicken Alfredo Recipe, Flavor Tips and Much More!